Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ghada Amer

is it just me or is Ghada Amer Egypt's answer to Tina Fey?




seriously though, I don't know how funny Ghada Amer is, but her artwork is rather amazing. I just recently watched an episode of Art: 21 featuring her and I was happy to rediscover her. I saw an exhibition of her work at the Brooklyn Museum a while back, and I fell in love with what she was doing. She creates abstract canvases using thread and incorporates erotic feminine images into her paintings. She plays around with femininity not only with her overtly sexual subject matter, but also by using a material which is traditionally thought of in relation to women. if you haven't seen her work before I highly suggest checking her out. even if she's not as comically gifted as Miss Tina Fey.

No comments:

Post a Comment